Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Long Live the King

Elvis changed the face of music. His body of work is impressive. Unfortunately, all that most people know of him is Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, etc. Much of his work in the 70's and his country recordings are unknown to the masses, and that is ashame. In my opinion, as great as his music was in the 50's, there are some songs he did in the 70's that make the 50's sound like 7th grade music class. Much of his music is covers of other well know songs. He always improved them. Here are a couple samples. Long live the King.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyraEY5Qt6k

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, so maybe I was a bit hasty to cut off my Elvis appreciation at Suspicious Minds. What's interesting is just how different his 70's recordings were - just how adult they were. Gone is the bubble gum, teenage-focused, Lieber-Stoller era and his sound became more adult/contemporary. So you've convinced me to open a new chapter in my Elvis fandom. Bring on the older, fatter, sweatier, but more soulful 70's Elvis

    ReplyDelete
  3. XM radio has an all Elvis all the time station. I'm amazed at how much he actually did (both originals and covers of other artists)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! Myra and I were Elvis fans as kids ... what am I saying? I still enjoy his music ... and his face!
    Love, Necia

    ReplyDelete